Thursday, April 26, 2012

Getting my first iMac, are video cards and RAM easy to install in them?

I'm a graphics student looking to save money where I can. I want to purchase an iMac with a fast processor but I dont want to get "extras" that I can buy cheaper elsewhere and install myself. I noticed it would cost a student $158 for 2gb memory, when I know I can purchase 2gb of ram from crucial for $89! So.. that would be a waste of money. But I have never owned a Mac.. are video cards and ram easy to install in them?



Also, I'm sort of frustrated with the apple store because the only way I can get a 2.33 GHz processor is if I get a 24-inch display when I can just get a larger one later on. Also, it only even gives me the option to choose a vidoe card is if I choose the largest display. Is there a way or another place where I can truly customize my iMac to my liking?|||RAM is easy to install, all you do is unscrew a small panel on the bottom and pop it in. Also, be very careful about what type of RAM you get...iMacs are notoriously picky about compatibility with third party RAM.



Other than that, iMacs are not user serviceable. You cant swap optical drives, hard drives, graphics cards or anything else. RAM is pretty much the only thing you can install yourself, so just get all the options you want on it when you buy it, b/c you'll be stuck with whatever you buy. Its money well spent though, macs hold their value and are super reliable.



As far as processor goes, you really wont notice much difference between the 2.33 GHz and the next model down processor. I was using a 1.86 GHZ Core Duo 2 last year with 1GB RAM at my job and the thing flew.



If you're doing serious graphic work though, and you want a more customizable machine, maybe look at the Mac Pro? Apple sets the standards with options so pretty much no matter where you buy you'll have the same options. The Apple store will give you a bit more flexibility in choice.|||If you want a customizable system, get a Mac Pro. You don't get as many choices in the consumer space. As for an iMac... RAM isn't hard to upgrade. Video cards are another story. You could try Apple resellers to see if you can find more options, but I doubt it. What's wrong with 1GB of RAM? It works fine for me. It's not Windows Vista, you don't need 4GB of RAM just to run the operating system.

No comments:

Post a Comment