Thursday, April 26, 2012

Do Video Cards support only certain RAM?

I have a custom built computer that I built from parts 3 years ago, and now I want to upgrade it. I got a lot of help and I honestly know barely anything about the hardware..



I have a nice video card, which I don't want to upgrade, but the video card description on newegg says "SLI Support" which is the same type of RAM I have. It's called "NVIDEA, SLI" RAM, which I have 2x 1GB sticks.



What I want to buy is 4x 2GB sticks of: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPI-B

I have no idea what that means, but it's supported on my motherboard, (I used www.crucial.com), so I want to get that, but will it work with my Video Card?



Basically, what I'm asking is..



Do Video Cards require certain types of RAM sticks? My video card says "SLI Support" and I was using SLI RAM sticks before, so I don't know if the new RAM I'm buying will work with this card.



Thanks for any help you can give, like I said I'm not good with this stuff.



Also, if needed, here's my current video card info: EVGA 01G-P3-N959-TR GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card|||Confusing, isn't it?



1) Memory on video cards is different from memory on motherboards. They can be of completely different types and work happily together.



2) The type of memory you need to buy for your system is dependent on your MOTHERBOARD. Period. Go to http:://crucial.com/ and run their diagnostic tool to check what kind of RAM is compatible with your motherboard if you don't have a model # handy. Oops - you already did go to crucial, so if it said 4x 2GB DDR2 are supported, that's the type you should get, even if it's not from Crucial.



3) You can't add memory to video cards. The original video memory is soldered onto the video card with no room for expansion.



4) Very, very few tasks benefit from > 4 GB of RAM. If you already have 3+GB of RAM and your games are running slow, you need a new, more powerful video card, not more RAM.



5) Any system with 4+GB of RAM had better be running a 64-bit version of windows, or the extra memory is going to waste. 32-bit versions can only reach 3.5 GB of RAM, max.|||No, video cards don't require you to run a certain type of RAM in your system. The only requirements to running a graphics card, are at least 1 PCI-E slot on the motherboard, and a suffcient-enough power supply to operate it. Your system RAM is irrelevant here. I know what OCZ RAM you're talking about, and the "SLI RAM" title they used is just a gimmick -- ALL RAM is compatible. You can pair ANY memory in your system with your nVidia card, period.|||No GPU's use there own ram. There is no such thing as DDR5 RAM on RAM Sticks so yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment